Online Dating Safety
The SilverSingles guide to staying safe while dating online. While the majority of our members are sincere and honest in the information they provide, as always exceptions do exist. To counteract this, SilverSingles employs an entire team of agents whose main task is to check and verify each and every profile created on our site. Every partner proposal you receive has been stringently checked by a human and verified. This process removes the majority of these rogue accounts. In recognition of the sophistication of modern day scammers, here are six additional tips on how you can confirm the authenticity of a profile and protect yourself against fraud.
1. Question unrealistic information If your partner proposal is a 22 year old surgeon, or you come across a stockbroker who claims that money is not important in their life, then it is completely acceptable for you to be sceptical. It is best to avoid contact if you doubt the information provided on a profile is legitimate.
2. Be mindful of your personal information It is natural to be excited and curious about someone we have met over the internet. We want to learn all we can about them and might prefer to call them as soon as possible to hear the sympathetic voice behind the emails. Before giving out ANY personal information such as your phone number or email address, it is worth reflecting upon that fact that you cannot take this information back. It is of course essential in the dating process to exchange personal information, but only proceed if you feel comfortable doing so. If your partner is excessively demanding it can be a warning sign. Some users have reported success setting up dating email accounts, used for the express purpose of contacting potential partners to organise meetings. Beware of users who send you a private email address or links to external website on your first communication. These are often the clearest indications of a phishing attempt. SilverSingles site is designed with security in mind, we are always monitoring suspicous users activities and will alert you accordingly, because of this, communicating via our platform is often the safest way to proceed until you get to know the individual in person.
3. Financial requests If your partner suggestion requests for you to either make or receive any form of financial payment, cease all contact immediately and report the profile to customer care. This is one of the strongest indicators of a fraudulent account and it often only becomes apparent after initial contact has been made.
4. Don’t rush It is important that you feel comfortable when making the decision to deepen your relationship with a partner proposal. Only provide your mobile phone number if you feel safe and comfortable doing so. Do not let yourself be pressured into meeting someone you are unsure of. It is important to explain this to your partner and if they do not take your wishes into account it is best to not contact them further.
5. Plan a safe meeting Your first meeting is something to be excited about! It is one of the many steps in the process of getting to know your future partner. Even if you feel you have become closer to them via email and phone, you should still remember that this person is still largely a stranger to you. Therefore it is important that you take the following points into consideration:
- Choose a neutral location, such as a coffee shop or a restaurant. Do not go to their house, or invite them to yours for the first date.
- Tell your friends or someone you trust that you are going on a date and with whom.
- Try not to drink too much alcohol.
Do not leave your personal belongings unattended.
Share your thoughts In order to guarantee the authenticity of your recommended partners, we need your help. Email our customer care department with this form if you suspect any profile contains false information or is behaving in a fraudulent manner. We wish you all the best in your search for a partner and would like you to remain safe while doing so.
The SilverSingles team